The Merry Oaks neighborhood was mostly developed in the late 1940s and 1950s, with brick ranch-style homes and wood bungalows, and it was known at that time as Country Club Hills because of its proximity to the Charlotte Country Club. When it was constructed, it was at the outer edge of Charlotte and was built on former farmland.
Many of the houses were built for servicemen returning from World War II. In the early 1990s, a new development of about 18 homes, Covington Court, was built off Merry Oaks Road. Currently there is a variety of homes ranging from about 900 square feet to about 2700 square feet. Some of the houses are occupied by the original owners who built the homes as young couples in the 1950’s.